New England Readers’ Choice Contest for Published Authors
Are you a romance reader interested in judging the New England Readers’ Choice contest? Fill out our Judges’ Information Web Form. All instructions, terms and conditions, and contact information are on the form.
Questions? Contact [email protected]
THE 2019 NEW ENGLAND READERS’ CHOICE CONTEST
The 2019 contest is now closed to entries.
This year, the grand prize winner of the New England Readers’ Choice contest will receive a package from Author Marketing Experts including access to their Master Amazon Video Series and a personalized marketing assessment and tailored recommendations, worth more than $390! The first, second, and third place winners in each category will receive a web badge, as well as a printed award certificate. Winners will be announced on the NECRWA website, in RWR, on NECRWA’s social media accounts, and at the Let Your Imagination Take Flight conference, to be held April 26-27, 2019. Questions? Contact [email protected]
Contemporary Romance: Short (40K-80K words)
Paranormal/Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Time Travel Romance
Romance Novella (20-40K words)
Romance with Religious or Spiritual Elements
Romance Short Story (under 20K words)
Young Adult Romance
- Entrants are required to accept the Readers’ Choice Contestant’s Agreement by checking a box on the online entry form indicating their acceptance of terms. The contest opens 11/1/2018 and closes to entries on February 1, 2019 at 11:59PM Eastern Time.
- Entrants must be 18 years of age by the date of entry.
- Books must have a 2018 copyright date and must be RECEIVED by the Contest Coordinator no later than February 1, 2019 at 11:59PM Eastern Time.
- Entries may be submitted only by the author or publisher, and must represent the author’s own original work published in novel, novella, or short story length.
- An author may submit more than one 2018 released book with a separate entry form and fee for each title.
- Entrants may enter as many novels/novellas/short stories as they wish; however, each book may be entered only once, i.e., one book may not be entered in two categories.
- The author or publisher must submit one digital (e-pub) copy of the entry to the Contest Coordinators via the Instafreebie web site. This digital copy must match the version available at retailers (other than watermarking, which may be added to the entry). If no digital copy is available to submit, print books are acceptable. You will receive instructions on how and where to send books upon receipt of your entry form and payment.
- By submitting an eBook entry, the author acknowledges that at least three copies will be sent for judging, or more depending on the need for further scoring.
- For printed books, entrants must send three (3) copies to the Contest Chair. The mailing address will be emailed to you following receipt of your online entry form. No entries requiring a signature will be accepted, but you may use USPS Delivery Confirmation.
- Judges will be gifted the books as a thank-you for judging. Authors, if you are submitting print copies, please autograph your books.
- The contest is limited to 35 entries per category.
- A minimum of ten (10) entries is required for each category to go forward. Categories receiving fewer than the minimum number of entries must have the approval of the NECRWA Board to run. If the category does not receive the minimum and the Board declines to run the category, affected authors will have the option to move their entry to the secondary category identified during registration, or to request a cancellation. If cancellation is requested, their printed books will be returned, their eBooks deleted from the contest’s database and not distributed to judges, and their fees refunded.
- Entries that do not meet the criteria of an Original Publication Date in 2018 will be disqualified. The entry fee for such entries will be refunded. Printed books will only be returned at the author’s expense, or will be donated at NECRWA’s discretion if the entrant’s request to return the books (and payment to do so) is not received on or before March 15, 2019. “Original publication date of 2018” means that the book was originally published in 2018 and has a Notice of Copyright date no later than 2018. A book with a Notice of Copyright date prior to 2018, which was not published until 2018, will be eligible. A book published prior to 2018, which lists a Notice of Copyright date of 2018 in the originally published edition, will also be eligible. The intent of this definition is that every book should be eligible for consideration exactly once.
- Entries determined to be plagiarized in whole or in part, or to lack a central love story with an emotionally satisfying and optimistic ending, will be disqualified for content.
- Entries containing abuse or rape for purposes of titillation, bestiality, pedophilia, other illegal or non-consensual practices, or practices that the average romance reader of the genre in question, applying contemporary community standards, would find objectionable, will be disqualified for content.
- The NECRWA Board has the sole discretion to determine whether an entry should be disqualified for any reason, and such decision of the Board is final and unappealable. If an entry is disqualified for content, no refunds will be issued. Printed books will be returned only at the author’s expense, or, if the author does not request return of their books within thirty days of being notified of their entry’s disqualification, will be destroyed or disposed of in the Board’s discretion.
- Judges will be provided with watermarked copies of ebook entries. NECRWA also requires all judges to agree not to re-distribute or share digital documents. The author (and, if separate, the publisher) of an entry will be made a third party beneficiary of the judges’ agreement, with the right to enforce the agreement against a judge who breaches it. By entering the contest and submitting an eBook or print book, the author accepts any and all risk associated with doing so and agrees to hold NECRWA harmless.
- NECRWA will limit access to electronic entry materials to the Contest Coordinators, to our Board members (on an as-needed basis), and to the judges judging each entry. NECRWA, the Contest Coordinators, and Board members will delete all ebook entries in its/their possession within a reasonable time after the contest winners have been announced.
- NECRWA does not discriminate against judges, authors, or contest entries on the basis of race, color, gender, gender expression, age (18 or over), religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or political affiliation.
(contest entries are now closed)
- Complete the online entry form, which will be available on 11/1/2018 (no longer available).
- Pay your entry fee ($25 for members of NECRWA, $30 for non-members) via PayPal (contest entries are now closed).
- Instructions for submitting your e-book or print copies will be sent by the Contest Coordinators via email upon receipt of entry form and confirmation of PayPal payment.
|November 1, 2018||Entry form available online.|
|November 1, 2018-
February 1, 2019
|Contest open for entries.|
|February 1, 2019||All payments for entry fees must be posted to PayPal no later than February 1, 2019, 11:59 pm EST.|
|February 1, 2019||Deadline to receive print and digital submissions. NECRWA is not responsible for lost or misdirected mail. Electronic entries must be received no later than February 1, 2019, 11:59 pm EST.|
|Judges read entries and submit scores.|
|March 15, 2019||Finalists in each category contacted via email or phone, and announced via NECRWA’s web site and social media.|
|April 27, 2019||Winners and Grand Prize winner announced at the 2019 Let Your Imagination Take Flight conference.|
Please contact [email protected] with any questions.